Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why Should Scotland be Independent?
10-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Why Should Scotland be Independent?
ok so i have to write a Persuasive essay on why i think scotland should be independent. What are the benefits to scotland and what are the cons to being independent. what others countries cant be used as examples. Also it would be very helpful if somebody could give me tips on how to write a persuasive essay cause the last time i wrote one it was apparently more informal than persuasive.btw im writing FOR scottish independence. Smile
Thanks
haha sorry i meant what countries CAN be used as examples not cant
srry Confused
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2012, 08:10 PM

Because they drag England down.

One issue which needs to be examined in detail in your essay is defence. I think this is one of the key matters against Scottish independence, but you may find something in SNP policy documents to support it. I'm sure you will easily find a breakdown of current army, navy & air force capabilities, and how they will be when all the current cuts have finished.
With the complexity and expense of anything military nowadays, I just don't see how an independent Scotland could afford anything really effective. A few fairly small ships to patrol the very long coast, some fighter planes to scramble to deal with, say an incoming hijacked airliner, a small army which would struggle to have the back up (logistic corps, medical, signals, engineers, etc.) to do anything very much, and some kind of mini SAS/Commandos/Paratroops force.
The remaining forces in England/Wales/Northern Ireland wouldn't be a lot better.

That's a tough one. I'm sure it is divisive even in Scotland too. Scotland has had a mutual bond with England that goes back hundreds of years. Of course they benefit from England's military and economic might. But they do have a unique identity that many would like to become a sovereign nation.
Pro:
Sovereignty, being able to rule themselves without having London meddling in their affairs.
Being able to cultivate their unique identity.

Cons:
Loosing the close military and economic security that England provides.
(Although, I imagine the military issue would be minor. I can't imagine England would allow anything to happen to Scotland. In much the same way that the USA would never allow Canada to come to harm.)

I suppose Puerto Rico for the USA has some similarities. It is part of a bigger country but somewhat autonomous. They also will be deviding very shortly whether they should stay a commonwealth or become a state or an independent nation.

On the question of Defence that Dave S has brought up. It is also a case why would Scotland need a size-able military? It does not or would not pro-port to be a world player and would not need a large military in order to project its presence across the globe, The SNP has already stated that it would be after a Multi Purpose brigade sized force.

On the question of 'should' Scotland be independent, then that should be if it is the will of the Scottish people and how they vote and that is the thing that underpins the 'should' argument. Of course how Scotland would cope is an entirely different matter. Reliable media on the subject is not readily available on mainstream news an TV. Channels such as the BBC are notoriously pro union and anti iIndependenceand have taken every opportunity since devolution to show this.

There is of course two things that you should bear in mind, one is the Barnett Formula, which basically outlines how much Scotland costs per annum. There is also a document called the McCrone report which was written in the 70s by the Tory government of the day. This report basically stated that if Scotland became independent it would have the 'hardest' currency in Europe and would have a large surplus of oil for sale. This report was kept under wraps until the Freedom of Information Act was introduced in 2004.

It is a moot point on whether the information is still valid.

As for what countries can be used as examples. There are several small countries that do well, such as Denmark, Luxembourg, and the rest of the Scandanavian countries. The only people who seem to say we could not do well is England. This is for various reasons. The most common cry you hear and it has already been voiced here is that we are a drain on resources. If that is the case then you will have no trouble granting independence. However it will mean the loss of Prestige if the UK is to split. For both Scotland and England this brings uncertainty but it is only in England where the feeling about this is negative and the media and news within Britain take every opportunity to scaremonger about Scottish Independence.

EDIT: Oh dear English scaremongering from 'Freedom and Liberty'. His argument is based on the usal premises of naysayers down south. On regards to Scotland being 'Independent' that means just that. there would be not asking to return to Great Britain and so no humiliation for Scotland being knocked back! He says lots of things are 'given to us' such as free University education. This is paid for by Scots taxpayers. Scotland has a population of just over 5.5 million and out of that only a very small percentage are in University education.

He says that Glasgow is a very 'dangerous place' to live. Perhaps. However a 14 year old boy was raped in a busy shop (Debenhams) in Manchester city centre a couple of months ago in broad daylight. Rioting took place last summer in London, Birmingham and Manchester. No riots took place in Scotland. An article in yesterday's Daily Telegraph said that England had a higher crime rate than the USA per capita! Not exactly safe south of the wall eh?

He also cites a 'shared' armed forces, which I have already oulined in a previous paragraph is not the case. He says that England will end up paying for 'Scottish wars'. Wars with who exactly??? In all his argument is nothing but typical bluster with no real substance! Sure Scotland will have to go through hardships that will come with independence. Despite the financial crisis at present ask any Irishmen if they think their forebears were stupid for going it alone?

The SNP will be happy to help.

The one thing that I have noticed with people from Scotland going abroad is that it feels insulting to be called English with holding a UK passport. This happens in just about every country, including france. It highlights how stupid these people are and shows how poor the education is in most other parts of the world, except Canada. But then that is part due to the UK government in not acting in the interests of all parts of UK, where it is England, England and England.

People from Scotland and those that have come into Scotland from other countries to work can see how England tries to bully the people of Scotland. Evidence for this comes from the Pol Tax, The ESA DWP trial, and when any point of argument is raised, the English don't address it. Television is another example of the English being disrespectful to Scotland, the people in Scotland pay TV licence fee and should be given TV that address the population, but it is based on English school terms, before digital arrived. And then, to cap it all a total disrespect for the beliefs and understandings in the Scottish leagal system.

If I was Scottish I would be voting Independence for the simple reason that I would not want, like to be treated in such a disrespectful way.

Examples of other countries are Ireland, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Portugal, Iceland, Switzerland, Finland, Singapore, Georgia, New Zealand, Kuwait, Israel plus another 100 or so. So how can these countries manage and some have way better life styles than we in UK have.

So, you gota ask, with a population of only 36 Mill and a massive land mass, how can we in Canada survive, how can New Zealand, OMG, how can Iceland.

That is one side and is the way I see it.

When USA started Independence, did they worry about where the money was coming from after wards? Going with what I have read about money and lack of if Scotland went independant, you only have to look at the higher living standards in New Zealand, Norway, Denmark, etc etc.
Would the same sort of arguments form if the UK left the EU? Your British and they probably would.

When writing an essay, putting across supporting arguments have to be backed up by examples. I have given a few in here. If a WHY and HOW question can be made for any other country then it is a good example. Like WHY can New Zealand survive with 5 mill population. HOW can they survive? HOW can Canada manage such a massive land mass with only 36 mill population? Investigate each, what the import, export ratio is. How many employed. Average age. Lots to look at, other than just the size of population or size of land mass.

Hope this helps.

Because a majority of the electorate want it.

They haven't yet painted a compelling picture of why Scotland should be independent so if the SNP cannot convince people I don't fancy your chances of winning this debate.

It would mean being a small country in the EU so we'd have unelected European bureaucrats running the place which would not be an improvement.

At the end of a very long saga there can only be one answer.
The answer can be found in this question. Why is Alex Salmond propelling this question.

Deep down any politician however mediocre of Salmonds grading has one objective and that is to be placed on the annals of Scotland's legendary figures such as Robert the Bruce,David Livingstone and Admiral Sir Thomas Cochrane.

Salmond at some stage will stage a scene where a President should be elected.

And who better for the job? Why!Alex Salmond of course.

Think of it! President Alex Salmond holding sway!